[PD-dev] nameclashes

Olaf Matthes olaf.matthes at gmx.de
Sat Nov 6 13:35:30 CET 2004

guenter geiger wrote:

> I always thought that it is the most obvious thing to do.
> Second best after not doing anything. (and being fair to maxlib scale,
> which is called maxlib_scale too, as Olaf pointed out several times).
> Personally I go for the Barknecht solution (only implement things as
> externals if its not doable within Pd).

But the nameclash is still there if you implement 'scale' in Pd and call
it 'scale' because that's what it does and what the Max object with the
same name does.... Only that the user can rename it a bit more easily
being an abstraction and not part of a library.

Pointing it out once again (after I said to myselfe not to jump in again
this time...): in case every library would follow the
'libname_objectname' convention the nameclash problem would be solved.
Maybe we'd also have to change two or three lines of code in Pd in order
to issue a warning in case two libraries want to register (through
class_addcreator())their 'maxlib_scale' and 'gem_scale' both as 'scale'.

Olaf