[PD-dev] re: branch convergence

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Nov 17 20:07:00 CET 2004

On Nov 16, 2004, at 5:55 AM, guenter geiger wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Nov 2004, Matju wrote:
>> Well, depends who was involved in the process of publishing "pd
>> extended".
>> It may tell something about the seriousness of the original intent.
>> And
>> then there are intents that are platonician as in "well, if the world
>> were
>> as perfect as i'd like it to be, then X" and there are others that are
>> positivist as in "given the current state of the world, then X". So
>> I'd
>> like to know what is the reasoning that led to that intent.
>
> I think it is more platonician then. I am trying to avoid a branch.
> This
> might be a very conservative approach and I would probably (surely?)
> act
> differently there would be a feature that I want to have in Pd. A good
> example is the alsa sequencer support, which is built in in the
> experimental debian package. I did not do a split of Pd though, it is
> just a patched version.
>
> Let me rephrase the whole question. If someone would ask me if I
> created
> the CVS for developers in order to publish an improved version of Pd, I
> would say "no". I created it in order to help the development on the Pd
> core and to make it possible to work together on new ideas, ideas that
> are then eventually incorporated into the official version.

I also think that its very important that we avoid splitting the Pd
devs, but I don't think that distributing binaries of devel would
necessarily be a bad thing, or lead to a fork.  The real key here is
communication.  And I think we agree that the goal of our work is to
have one unified Pd.  I think that we should be distributing binaries
of major branches like devel and impd so that the ideas and code in
those branches can get thoroughly tested by a broad range of people.
Then it should become apparent what works and what does.

I think we can see examples of this being done in a friendly manner,
and I think it will make a fork less likely because there will be an
outlet for trying new things.  An example I recently came upon is the
gaim-vv fork.  They are developing voice and video support in a
friendly fork, and once its done, they will fold everything into
libgaim.

.hc