[PD-dev] autorepeat with [key], [keyup], and [keyname]

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Nov 27 16:44:24 CET 2004

On Nov 25, 2004, at 6:45 AM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>

>> I am working with the core keyboard objects and I noticed that when
>> the
>> key auto-repeats, these objects ([key], [keyup], and [keyname]), send
>> stream of alternating 0's and 1's.  I think that the correct way to do
>> auto-repeat would just be to send out 1's for each repeat event,
>> rather
>> than alternating 0's and 1's.  The current condition makes it very
>> hard
>> to use the keys in their held state.
>>
>> I would like to file a bug report, but I am wondering if there is any
>> reason to keep the current behavior.  Attached is a patch that
>> illustrates my point.
>
> AFAIK, the X11 specification does it like that; at the very least, all
> versions of XFree86 of the last 7 years (or so) do it like that, as
> well
> as SUN's Slowlaris/Dope'n'win. I've never seen the explanation.

How then can you detect a key being held down in X?  I mean it would be
possible by tracking the auto-repeated values, but that seems
needlessly complicated.  MacOS X HID Manager and Linux input events use
auto-repeat events to represent this, which makes things much more
flexible.  It would be nice to have these objects follow this model
more.  Maybe auto-repeat mode control be controlled by an argument.

____

realize his wishes.
Now that he can realize them, he must either change them, or perish.
		                                     -William Carlos Williams