[PD-dev] motex cvs

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.net
Wed Jun 1 16:54:24 CEST 2005

hi iain ...

> Beyond that I hope to write two new externals in order to read and
> write to disk in the "speex" compression format (see www.speex.org).
> This format for those that don't know it is an open source codec
> similar to ogg vorbis but optimised for speech. I'll get back to the
> list about this project as there are some issues regarding
> downsampling that i'll need to resolve.
hm ... i think it would make sense to combine the effort for writing a
cross platform soundfile player for pd ...
pd's sound file player is quite buggy and not really intuitive to use,
there are iem's mp3 player, possibly an ogg player ... and readanysf,
that iirc has some problems with the recent flext ...

maybe it's just another stupid idea, that will be discussed once and
never realized (like the marketplace / bounty system), but what about a
plugin api for pd?
the readsf/writesf players could be improved (maybe similarly written to
thomas's sfplay) and an api could be designed that makes it possible to
support all kinds of audio formats ... mp3, ogg, flac, speex,
libsndfile, whatever you want ...
this api could also be used for the soundfiler ...

just a stupid idea to save some work ... but it will only work if
several developers _cooperate_ which will be the mayor problem :-(

just my 2¢ ... tim

--
mailto:TimBlechmann at gmx.de    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk

latest mp3: kMW.mp3
http://mattin.org/mp3.html

latest cd: Goh Lee Kwang & Tim Blechmann: Drone
http://www.geocities.com/gohleekwangtimblechmannduo/

would say "I want to see the manager."
				      William S. Burroughs