[PD-dev] compiling pd_devel_0.38 on sarge

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Mon Jul 11 00:53:40 CEST 2005

Hi Tim,

Well I did a little digging. for some reason (I'm not sure what I
changed) the autoconf build for devel 0_38 works now. Using this PD
compiles fine, but will not load any of my externals. (Do externals have
to be compiled against devel to work in devel, meaning I need a mirror
of all externals compiled for devel?

On to scons.

scons tries to compile t_main.c with:

gcc -O3 -fprefetch-loop-arrays -mfpmath=sse -mmmx -msse -msse2 -DDL_OPEN
-DNEWHASH -DLOCKFREE -DUNISTD -DUNIX -DUSEAPI_OSS
-DINSTALL_PREFIX=\"/usr/lib\" -DUSEAPI_ALSA -DUSEAPI_JACK
-DUSEAPI_PORTAUDIO -DPA19 -Isrc -Iportaudio/pa_common -Iportaudio/pablio
-c -o src/t_main.o src/t_main.c

the old build system tries to compile t_main.c with:

cc -O3 -funroll-loops -fomit-frame-pointer -DPD  -Wall -W
-Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-unused -Wno-parentheses -Wno-switch -O3
-funroll-loops -fomit-frame-pointer -DDONTUSESIMD -DDONTUSESIMD
-DPA_USE_OSS -DPA_LITTLE_ENDIAN -DUNIX -DUNISTD -DUNIX -DUNISTDo
-DUSEAPI_OSS         -I../portaudio/pa_common -I../portaudio/pablio
     -I../portaudio/portmidi-macosx     -fno-strict-aliasing
-DPA_USE_ALSA -DUSEAPI_ALSA -DINSTALL_PREFIX=\"/usr/local\" -I.
-I/usr/include/tcl8.4 -c -o ../obj/t_main.o t_main.c

t_main.c says #include "tk.h" but only the old build system specifically
says: -I/usr/include/tcl8.4

I think this is the reason everything but the scons build is working for
me. I still can't explain why scons does not see tk.h in include/tcl8.4/
though it seems Miller's ./configure script doesn't even try to look for
it, only searching for tcl.h and then main() in -ltk:

checking tcl.h usability... yes
checking tcl.h presence... yes
checking for tcl.h... yes
checking for main in -ltcl8.7... no
checking for main in -ltcl8.6... no
checking for main in -ltcl8.5... no
checking for main in -ltcl8.4... yes
checking for main in -ltk8.7... no
checking for main in -ltk8.6... no
checking for main in -ltk8.5... no
checking for main in -ltk8.4... yes

I hope this sheds some light on whats going on....

Thanks again Tim for all your patience.