[PD-dev] proposed new "list" object (fwd)

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Jul 21 18:24:08 CEST 2005

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:28:17 -0400
From: Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org>
To: Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca>
Subject: Re: [PD-dev] proposed new "list" object

On Jul 21, 2005, at 12:39 AM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Miller Puckette wrote:
>
> > On the other hand, perhaps "list" should be taken to mean "list append"
> > and to just prepend a "list" selector should be some more special name
> > like "list listify".  Seems to me that's more ugly than having to use
> > "append" to store lists, but maybe there's a third way somewhere...
>
> I think that having "append" as the default behaviour is au contraire
> something quite clever in that context. That is, _if_ the whole [list]
> thing is a good idea, then just [list] should be like [list append] or
> [list prepend] so that a bang just outputs the stored list, to be more
> like [f] and [symbol] and [pointer], although a list is not an atomtype
> and thus it isn't *that* important to be consistent there.

[int] isn't an atom type either, and it behaves the same as [f], [symbol], and
[pointer].  I think that the storage type should be consistent and need not
only apply to atoms.  [anything] would also be handy.

which an individual may exclusively possess as long as he keeps it to himself;
but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into the possession of
everyone, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself of it."

- Thomas Jefferson