[PD-dev] First attempt at "list" object uploaded

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Jul 25 09:30:39 CEST 2005

Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Miller Puckette hat gesagt: // Miller Puckette wrote:
>
>>I think I have an adequate way to deal with non-list messages; they're converted
>>to lists on input, and the "list trim" object can be used to explicitly convert
>>back.

> "list set a 1" in this case does not work. An even simpler example
> might be to generate a "set 42" message to set a float atom. In this
> case, "list set 42" also will not set the float atom to 42. However
> with [list trim] this can be made to work. (Of course this example is
> rather academic.)

even though working in academic environments, i don't feel like this
problem is academic; it appears to me every other day.

the only thing that i don't understand is, why you cannot uses [route
list]; this has worked for me for years.
i don't see any realy reason to re-invent core objects for functionality
that is already in the core set of objects.
(of course there are many ways to achieve a certain thing esp. within
pd, but i still don't think that this is a reason to introduce a whole
new object.)

otoh, [l.trim] could be implemented as an abstraction...

mfg.ad.r
IOhannes