[PD-dev] loadbang order

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Aug 10 16:08:23 CEST 2005

Hallo,
Tim Blechmann hat gesagt: // Tim Blechmann wrote:

> > Hm, is this "specified" somewhere? Or is it just "the way it
> > is" currently, similar to the way, two connections of a message outlet
> > are currently handled by creation order, however by specification the
> > order there is undefined?
> are you referring to a language specification ;-)

Somehow yes. But Miller clarified this point for me.

> > My practical view to loadbang ordering is simple: The only elegant way
> > to solve the problem is triggers. They make the ordering explicit and
> > printable.
> well, this only works as long as you are the maker of all loadbangs.
> when you start to distribute a collection of abstractions (don't you
> ;-), you can't be sure any more that your user's loadbang occurs after
> your loadbang. basically ANY abstraction that should be reusable by
> others can't use loadbangs/loadbang-based externals.

More correctly it would be like this: others can't use
loadbangs/loadbang-based externals that rely on being activated in a
specific order.

I see, that it is useful, that  abstractions are loadbanged before
their parents. However I really don't know a simple and practical
solution to the case where you'd want to have one abstraction bang
before another, maybe even an instance of the same abstraction, in a
case, where they are on the same  hierarchical level

Or rather, somehow it feels wrong to me to have to rely on a kind of
automatic ordering of loadbangs in abstractions/subpatches which are
on the same hierarchical level. This is something I would rather let
the user of these abstractions to ... probably using triggers. ;)

The good thing is: A loadbang only happens once.

Ciao

          _ __latest track: "plak" @ http://footils.org/cms/show/44