[PD-dev] Re: pure devil (fwd)

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Aug 10 18:43:55 CEST 2005

Hallo,
Georg Holzmann hat gesagt: // Georg Holzmann wrote:
> Ben:
> >Interesting to do the interpolation state-saving in the GUI part only. I
> >suppose this would lead to some lack of flexibilty if we wanted to
> >change the type of interpolation from the PD engine side.. based on midi
> >controllers or something... hmmm
> yes - I also don't know if it's a good idea ...

Generally I think, that binding or limiting states to GUI objects is
not a good thing. At least that was one of the design goals with
rradical: It should be possible to "save everything", not just the
state of a slider or a numberbox or a canvas color. However a way to
*query* a GUI object or any object for its state would be very useful
to have, so that the collection of a part of a state's data could be
made easier.

The latest Max version has this interesting "pattr" object collection
(see http://www.synthesisters.com/download/Max45ReferenceManual.pdf)
which is remarkably similar in some areas to Memento. It also includes
"autopattr" which automatically collects every variable in a patcher's
objects. Something like this could be useful to have in Pd, too.

Ciao

          _ __latest track: "plak" @ http://footils.org/cms/show/44