[PD-dev] Re: pure devil (fwd)

martin pichlmair pi at attacksyour.net
Tue Aug 23 19:20:43 CEST 2005

hi,

now i also need to add my grain of salt to this thread.

>>> 1. When the pointer device you are using is imprecise, you can't
>>> even
>>>    hit an inlet 90% of the time. For example, ever tried patching
>>> on a
>>>    touchscreen?
>>>

>> or a trackpoint, ball mouse, vnc/rdesktop. do you have any
>> suggestions... auto-zoom the objects on mouseover, a la the MacOSX
>> "Dock" ?
>>

> Fisheye view: the centre of the patch looks bigger than the
> periphery...
> And by centre I mean centre of attention, which the user gets to pick.

the problem with fisheye view: it never works. basically you can try
it out in the dock. the reason why it does not work lies in the fact
that the area that gets bigger _always_ moves away from the curser
when it does so. thus, the user clicks at the icon beside the
highlighted. try it out. it sucks.

>> well, i abolished scrollbars in my PD GUI, as documented at http://
>> whats-your.name/pd/
>>

> I see. You are replacing them by exclusive usage of the scrollwheel?

one more solution would be to implement a "hand" as in quark xpress.
i like scrollbars more.

>> so i guess user-settable pref is on order here..
>>

> Right.

user settable prefs are shifting the responsibility to the user. most
users will not set them thus a reasonable default has to be chosen.
they are an addition more than a solution.

lg
martin