[PD-dev] Re: externals/build SConscript

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Nov 1 17:19:31 CET 2005

On Nov 1, 2005, at 6:42 AM, Tim Blechmann wrote:

>> The libraries should be deprecated where ever possible, instead we
>> should use a common build system.  That will save everyone a lot of
>> time.
>
> why?

This has been discussed ad nauseum.  Here's two reasons: 1) look at how
many people post to the list with questions about loading libs, how
many people post with problems loading single file externals? 2) ever
had trouble with namespace conflicts?  Try solving that when you are
using libs.  Sometimes its not possible.

>> The one in externals/build works well, no its not perfect,
>> but its there and it works.
>
> the problem is, it's only working well for a subset of externals. iirc,
> there is not a single flext external in there.
>
> btw, i'm using scons as extension to the flext build system, which
> works pretty reliable since it's easy to extend it to non-standard
> cases. (searching for weird libraries etc)
> imo, someone should look into it and write a platform independent
> scons Builder then we wouldn't have this nasty discussion any more.

Flext externals are now included in the Pd.app build system
(packages/darwin_app/Makefile).  I'll be porting this to Linux and
Windows, so we can have unified builds on all platforms.
externals/build only works for C-based Pd externals, as it should.
Flext has it own unified build system.

> --
> mailto:TimBlechmann at gmx.de    ICQ: 96771783
> http://www.mokabar.tk
>
> latest mp3: kMW.mp3
> http://mattin.org/mp3.html
>
> latest cd: Goh Lee Kwang & Tim Blechmann: Drone
> http://www.geocities.com/gohleekwangtimblechmannduo/
>
> After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space
> would say "I want to see the manager."
> 				      William S. Burroughs

____

                   ¡El pueblo unido jamás será vencido!