[PD-dev] bind abstraction-canvas to full classname

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Jan 12 20:57:04 CET 2006

Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> Hm, it indeed might become a problem. I'm already very careful with
> subpatch names and protect them with $0 wherever possible from
> becoming an unintended target, because I use data structures and thus
> "pd-x" receivers a lot (including the "clear" message of course), also
> in abstractions where I cannot see the subpatch's name immediatly.
>
> As abstractions cannot use $0 in their name, they cannot be protected
> this way. I guess I would prefer to keep the .pd in the receiver
> because of this. I probably will never be extra careful with sending
> "clear" to something ending in ".pd".
>
> Or am I misunderstanding your change?

no i fear you are quite right.
i guess there really should be a separation between subpatches (esp.
with data-structures) and abstractions.
the main point why i didn't do it was, because i did not want to
generate _another_ symbol (when loading an abstraction [foo/bar] pd
automatically generates the symbols "foo/bar", "bar.pd", and
"/path/to/my/foo")
but probably there is no way around.

btw, does foo.pat bind to "pd-foo.pat"? (i think so).

mfg.adr
IOhannes