[PD-dev] bind abstraction-canvas to full classname (namecanvas)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Jan 15 18:31:00 CET 2006

On Jan 15, 2006, at 12:09 PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> So it seems between canvas names and namespace declarations/lib path
>> need to be some kind of patch meta data which is able to be
>> controlled  from patch space and the properties panel.
>> Perhaps this meta data can be stored in as part of the patch itself
>> and  stored in the .pd file with the addition of a #N meta line.
>> Then this  data could be viewed and edited from the patch's
>> properties panel, and  objects like [namecanvas], [declare],
>> [import]/[using] would be able  to manipulate this data as well.
>> In this situation, the meta data object would have an inlet to set
>> the  data, and an outlet to fetch the data.  This could be done with
>
> that's what i was trying to explain, though i was calling it [canvas]
> instead of [meta].

Ah ok.  I think that [meta] is a clearer distinction since we are
talking about meta data for a patch, not necessarily data relating to
just the canvas.  I see it more as meta data to the patch, with #N
canvas also being a kind of meta data for the patch, specifying the
display size of the window and whether its visible or not.  It doesn't
entirely makes sense to me to have the #N canvas represent the patch.

Plus, [canvas] would be easily confused with controlling [cnv] data.

>> [meta] object, then make [namecanvas], [declare], [import]/[using] as
>>  abstractions based on [meta].
>
> hmm, well; i don't see clearly how this should work. the [meta] in an
> abstraction [namecanvas] would refer to [namecanvas]'s meta-data,
> while you intend it to refer to the parent's meta-data.
> so we would need something like a macro! - no we better not...

To solve this, the classname and the instance ID could be optional
arguments to [meta].  Then [meta] could be used from any patch to
control the meta data for any patch.  The default behavior for [meta]
with no arguments would then be to control the current patch.

I am not entirely sure about instance ID.  That would only be needed if
there was instance-specific meta data, which currently there is not.

____

                                                               -
Eldridge Cleaver