[PD-dev] Tcl exec vs. Microsoft filenames

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Jan 18 07:20:31 CET 2006

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> I think its more of a Tcl question.  The problem is that if I run this
> from the command line, it works fine:
> rundll32 url.dll,FileProtocolHandler file:C:/Program
> Files/pd/doc/manuals/Gem/cMatrix.html
> But if I do this in Tcl, it does not:
> set filename "C:/Program Files/pd/doc/manuals/Gem/cMatrix.html"
> exec rundll32 url.dll,FileProtocolHandler [format "file:%s" $filename] &
> Quotes don't seem to make it work either.

I don't know the intricacies of the Windows version of Tcl's exec.

Is it possible that %20 gets munged because the shell thinks it's supposed
to be an argument expansion? I recall that in COMMAND.COM %20 meant like
what $20 means in /bin/sh... Does the % sign have to be doubled in order
to make it a literal percentsign for COMMAND.COM ?