[PD-dev] how math objects respond to a bang

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Feb 7 23:02:47 CET 2006

On Feb 7, 2006, at 4:32 PM, zmoelnig at iem.at wrote:

> Zitiere Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org>:
>

>> So I am just going thru the x_arithmetic.c math classes, and I found
>> that while most of them do respond to a bang, about 1/3 of them have
>> no
>>
>> method for bang.  I would like to add a bang method to all these.  I
>> can't see any problem with doing this, anyone else?  The new bang
>> methods would act just like the other math object bang methods: the
>> would output the last result.
>>
>> These objects have a bang method:
>>
>> + - * / pow max min == != > < >= <= & && | || << >> % mod div
>>
>> These do not:
>>
>> clip sin cos tan atan atan2 sqrt log exp abs
>

> well the difference is, that [+],... are binops while [sin],... are
> unary
> operations.
>

> the [bang(-method for binops is there for things like
> |
> [t b f]
> |     |
> [+    ]
> |

> since this is not needed it is not there for unops.

[clip] has 3 inlets and [atan2] has 2 inlets, so they are not unary
operations.  [clip] and [atan2] have their own classes, so that's easy.

It just seems consistent to have them all respond to a bang.  Then you
could get the last result easily without knowing when the last input
was.  But I can live for now with the unary operations ignoring bang.
I do need [clip] to respond to a bang tho.

____

                   ¡El pueblo unido jamás será vencido!