[PD-dev] list math

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Tue Feb 14 01:54:46 CET 2006

Alas Cyrille it seems we agree rather than disagree.

I think having list stuff seperate from mapping stuff IS logical, and is
not redundant. sorry for misunderstanding.

I think a lister cliper should differ from a float clipper only in the
ways that they are different. If we have a patch with a float clipper,
we should be able to change it to the list clipper, and the upper/lower
limits should be interfaced the same way, so it still works, but would
allow you to sent it lists as well at that point.

What do we mean by "mapping" exactly?

If the difference between the list clipper and the float clipper is just
being able to use lists, should we just have one clipper that acts as it
should based on the type of data it gets? I guess in PD this is not the
way we have now, since [clip] and [clip~] are a case, which would argue
for paralell list_clip, mtx_clip, etc..

The problem of libs again becomes the problem of objects that belong
equally in multiple catagories. In eyesweb we have a giant tree of all
the objects. the hypothetical object "myobj" would be located in BOTH
these places:

/video/input/myobj

/input/video/myobj

which is pretty confusing rather than liberating...

Add to that you can drag and drop any object anywhere you want in the
stucture, and RENAME it to anything you want, and you have one of the
ugliest patcher languages I can think of.

The following scenario sounds ok to me:

User searches for "clip range" in the PD help searching tool, and we end
up getting a list like:

/math/clip
/signal/clip~
/math/list/clip