[PD-dev] including [dssi~] in Pd-extended

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Mar 5 02:20:15 CET 2006

On Mar 3, 2006, at 6:56 AM, Tim Blechmann wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-03-03 at 10:29 +0100, Thomas Grill wrote:
>>> I'm against managing foreign plugins or apps in the Pd CVS. With an
>>> open application like Pd, where an external can be made to load
>>> *everything*, there just is no stopping point, once we start to do
>>> this.
>>>

>> Hi all,
>> that is also my point of view.
>> There should be no resources in the CVS that can be aquired
>> elsewhere.
>
> right ... if one would want to automate a build process, it can easily
> be done by adding the command to acquire the resources to the build
> system ... (doing that with scons seems to be trivial)

There is one major caveat to doing that:  it will not work at all
with the Debian auto-builders.  No network access allowed.

I still see no reason why we should not use CVS to manage "foreign"
sources.  We already are in a lot of places and it works quite well.
We need to use a lot of code that is far from released in building
Pd.  That means we have to manage source code.  CVS is a good tool
for managing source code, we all know how to use it, (many of us
don't use python or scons at all), and even has built-in support for
managing foreign sources.  Check out the "Tracking Third-Party
Sources" section in the CVS manual:

http://ximbiot.com/cvs/manual/cvs-1.12.13/cvs_13.html#SEC106

Really it comes down to this: How are you guys harmed if I choose to
manage some "foreign" sources in the Pd CVS?

.hc