[PD-dev] "imports" section of CVS

David Plans Casal main at davidcasal.com
Tue Mar 14 11:20:21 CET 2006

On 13 Mar 2006, at 23:15, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
>
> Well, I guess I misunderstood what should go in imports, and maybe I
> do have objections: I thought, "imports" was to be intended for
> libraries, that are required by Pd externals and maybe Pd itself, but
> not for standalone applications independent from Pd, as the DSSI
> plugins are? The DSSI folks have their own Sourceforge project, they
> have their own release system, and their applications are not required
> to run Pd at all.

I don't necessarily agree with that. Perhaps 'imports' isn't the
right word, but the fact that a library isn't required to run Pd at
all might not be a good enough reason not to include it in an
extended build system, especially if it is kept completely apart from
the main tree.

I would rather see apt or fink-style dependency resolution, but I
think hc's compromise of separating concerns and letting people
ignore 'imports' if they want to/need to seems fair enough. I would
rather see it built, than stop here on principle.

David Casal
Researcher, Department of Computing
Goldsmiths College, University of London
Office : +44 020 7078 5151
Mob   : +44 07803 173959