[PD-dev] generating the standard library: techniques

carmen ix at replic.net
Fri Mar 31 17:42:33 CEST 2006

> So the question is, if we're going ahead to create this kind of standard
> libs for PD, what should they be written in?

> If we want a lot of functionality fast then python seems like the best
> solution

anyone can already use Python, Tcl Scheme, Guile, Ruby etc..

it would be great to have bindings to all the POSIX stuff like fopen() etc , instead of semi-featured inconsistent frontends to a few pieces here and there like the [sprintf] external in cyclone or the [popen] external or bits of fopen() in soundfiler..maybe it can be generated with SWIG.. since stuff like python just hooks into the same things, i dont see why PD cant do it without a middleman..although maybe string/raw-bytes types and some better object-reference mechanisms would help? .. i have no idea how much work it would be  (has anyone on this list implemented a standard library in a scripting language?)