[PD-dev] Re: [PD] [folder_list]

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Apr 1 20:20:02 CEST 2006

On Apr 1, 2006, at 9:09 AM, B. Bogart wrote:

> james tittle wrote:

>>> Yeah, [folder_list] is not the best name.  ls and glob are too
>>> UNIXish, tho I love UNIX. Hmm..  [file/listing]?  "list" really
>>> seems
>>> to be the common word here.  [file_list] might be the best  bet.
>>> Folders are usually considered files, while files are not
>>> considered
>>> folders ever..
>>

>> ...random ideas, to get away from using "list":
>>
>> [folder_contents]
>> [directory_search]
>> [folder_directory]
>> [directory]
>> [folder_catalog]
>> [directory_index]
>> [folder_inventory]
>>
>> james

> folder_contents sounds damn clear!
>
> Is directory stuff and file stuff in the same lib or two different
> ones?
>
> [directory/contents]
>
> [folder/contents]
>
> [file/folder_contents]

There would be one library, "file".  I think spliting them would make
for a lot more work, and little gain.  Most file operations also
apply to folders, like date, time, name matching, permissions, etc.

I like the idea of searching, since it does patterns, and is not
limited to one folder (i.e. /home/*/.tcshrc).  Maybe:

[file/match]
[file/search]
[file/index]

And tho I am a UNIX geek, I think "folder" is the preferred term
here.  Its more widespread and I think it makes more sense than
"directory" when you look at it from the interface level, rather than
the implementation.

____

                             http://at.or.at/hans/