[PD-dev] Re: file library WAS: [folder_list]

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Apr 5 03:10:41 CEST 2006

On Apr 4, 2006, at 12:09 PM, james tittle wrote:

> Hans:  see?  I told you this would come up!  ;-)
>
> On Apr 3, 2006, at 11:43 PM, B. Bogart wrote:
>> Anyone else able to make pd-extended and gdb play? I'm just
>> running the
>> binary in .app/MacOS
>>
>> I don't know what else to do if gdb things the process is ending
>> normally, but it is a crash.... :(
>>
>> This is on OS X only.
>
> ...the main problem you're seeing is incorrect naming...apple
> requires both the application name and the binary name to be the
> same before it'll load it into gdb...I've talked with Hans about
> this, but he has been very reluctant to change, at least in the
> near term with these "RC*"-releases...

> ...I think that the naming should go like this:
>
> PureData.app/Contents/MacOS/PureData
>
> (note:  the Info.plist will also need to be changed:
> CFBundleExecutable and CFBundleName)
>
> ...this has the added benefit of making it more easily
> distinguishable from "Pd"/"pd" when looking at top...
>
> ...in order to distinguish between versions, there are the
> CFBundleGetInfoString/CFBundleShortVersionString/CFBundleVersion
> plist values that can reflect "0.*-extended-RC*", just like all
> other OSX applications...
>
> jamie

I was reluctant to make that change right before a release.  Its
already changed in the latest test version:

http://at.or.at/hans/pd/installers.html

____

it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into
the possession of everyone, and the receiver cannot dispossess
himself of it."
                                                        - Thomas
Jefferson