[PD-dev] "object" lib

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Apr 8 20:02:05 CEST 2006

On Apr 8, 2006, at 12:12 AM, carmen wrote:

>> At the level of patching, inheritance can be partially replaced by
>> deeply
>> nested abstractions and a lot of [route]s, though those who'd like to
>> implement mixins are screwed. How would you emulate virtual
>> inheritance
>> with abstractions and [route] ?
>
> inside a patch needing a few additional methods (assuming it has a
> single inlet), i'd just wire in any number of abstractions in
> series. inside those abstractions would be a route, for the methods
> which the mixin abstractions implement.. i havent actually tried
> this. im fairly sure i would consider my OSC/message recording
> things a mixin as well, simply create one in a subpatch, and you
> have a local send/recieve variable which can forward arbitrary
> messages to the global 'recording agent'..similar to AOP logging..
>
> in any case there are definitely OO concepts at play, in a world
> where structs-within-structs or creative $0 tricks are as close as
> one can currently go.
>
> Hans, if youre stilll reading, how does 'meta' sound? i do like the
> idea of collecting all these dynamic patching things in one place..

Part of PDDP is standard meta information, so a "meta" lib should
probably handle that stuff.  I still think that "object" in the
context of Pd makes good sense since it's a collection of objects
used for writing objects.

(I deliberatly say "object" and not "class", since "class" implies a
lot of OOP concepts which are not in Pd, like subclass/superclass,
class tree/hierarchy, inheritance, etc.).

____

scarcity."
                                                      -John Gilmore