[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Bugs-1469910 ] Stack overflow with Data Structure arrays saved in patch

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Apr 19 01:17:34 CEST 2006

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> on the long run, we should try to not have a MSTACKSIZE at all but
> rather detect the size needed at runtime. (i have no idea though, which
> speed penalty this means)

How do you detect how much stack space you need while still preventing pd
from crashing from infinite recursion?

I don't know many systems that recurse through large linked-lists. Either
they don't use linked-lists anymore, and/or they use higher-order
functions, and/or they use tail-recursion.

why should recursion be used here?

but at least MSTACKSIZE could be replaced by a commandline option.