[PD-dev] CVS/SVN @ iem (was Re: [GEM-dev] CVS...)

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed May 10 21:17:28 CEST 2006

On Tue, 9 May 2006, geiger wrote:

> AFAIK there are currently no concrete offers, but IEM is a candidate. We
> can also switch to any other (probably not so famous and therefore
> faster) free version control sites such as Berlios
> (http://developer.berlios.de/) or Savannah (http://savannah.nongnu.org/)

Apparently Savannah requires GPL/LGPL, so we can't use it. Are there such
restrictions on Berlios?

> It only solves the problem if svn on sourceforge is more stable than
> CVS.

People on the tcl-core list are afraid that other services than CVS could
stop working in the future.

> It would have to be a dezentralized system such as monotone
> http://www.venge.net/monotone/, git (http://git.or.cz/) or GNU arch
> (http://www.gnu.org/software/gnu-arch/) in order to really affect the
> problem that we have with sourceforge.

Decentralised systems deal with the problem of outages in general, they
don't deal with the problem of sourceforge in particular vs another host
in particular.

> Our main problem currently is that, for whatever reason, sourceforge
> doesn't keep up with its maintainance. If we move to something different
> we should make sure that this gets better.

Yes. In particular it's nice if enough people have enough privileges on
the machine so that we can fix problems ourselves.