[PD-dev] displaying when an arg has been overridden

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Jun 24 23:51:37 CEST 2006

On Jun 24, 2006, at 12:44 PM, Julian Oliver wrote:

> ..on Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 02:47:18PM -0400, Martin Peach wrote:
>> Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>>>
>>> What if the edit menu has a checkbox to enable canvas-based
>>> tooltips?
>>>
>>> and a box to set the tooltip delay (?) which might not be needed.
>>>
>>> Usually, when someone doesn't want tooltips, the delay has better be
>>> high, very high, and when someone wants tooltips, the delay has
>>> better
>>> be low, very low. Which makes me think that there should be a toggle
>>> between infinite delay and zero delay, at least.
>>>
>> A lot of applications use something like a control key combo or a
>> right-click to display extra info, instantaneously, so, e.g.,
>> right-clicking on a wire would show a tooltip. It's faster than
>> toggling
>> checkboxes on the main window or in a menu.
>>
>> I have this recurring idea though that if pd had a GUI API that
>> wasn't
>> tied to tcl/tk then openGL could be used to represent patches in
>> 3D, and
>> the user could zoom _inside_ objects to set their parameters and
>> check
>> on their status.
>
> jeezz.. me and many others have been saying this for years ;)
>
> i even reiterated it a few posts back!
>
> this would be a very smart move IMO - OpenGL makes a very good, GPU
> managed fast 2D library, leaving the CPU to do the real work, like
> crunching numbers.

I think it would be quite nice to get Pd to the point where it would
be relatively straightforward for people to write their own GUIs for
it.  DesireData is that idea, but unfortunately, its more like a
fork, so its very unlikely that those changes will be incorporated by
Miller.  I suppose it would be possible if the DD devs started
submitted patches to the patch tracker.  Miller accepts the majority
of them these days.

So there has been much talk over the years about doing this, I think
there needs to be more action.  Any volunteers?

I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have three
and dignity, equality and freedom for their spirits.      - Martin
Luther King, Jr.