[PD-dev] displaying when an arg has been overridden

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Jun 26 14:45:05 CEST 2006

geiger wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 zmoelnig at iem.at wrote:
>> example see the attachment; this example brings to my mind, that it
>> would be far more important to make abstractions equal to externals and
>> vice versa (e.g. the "default signal" is missing in abstractions)
>
> I don't know it you mean this (see attached test.pd), but to a certain
> extend I think it works.

i was unclear here.
your patch works as expected. i tried to articulate the need for a way
to set this default signal from within the patch....(i really don't know
how to say it...)

ok, an example with [osc~]:
[osc~] takes an argument (initial frequency), which can be overridden by
sending a float-message to the [osc~] object)
if you connect a signal to the object, it will override both the initial
argument and the float-message.

in C-code this is done by manipulating a float-variable specified at
CLASS_MAINSIGNALIN() (in the [osc~] code at d_osc.c this is the variable
x_f)

in the pd-patch i have no way to do something similar: an abstraction
can (as you have shown) accept pseudo-signals, but there is really no
way to set such a signal from within the abstraction.

i guess such a feature could be done with arguments to the [inlet~]
object (despite the fact that this solution conflicts with the
upsampling/downsampling argument as well as tooltips)

mfga,.sdr.
IOhannes