[PD-dev] [once] default closed...

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Sep 13 18:31:07 CEST 2006

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> I actually think that default closed would be more consistent behavior,
> especially if [once] uses an argument.  Changing [once] to

i cannot follow you here: what makes [once] consistent if it was closed
by default?
while the object should be consistent to other objects (and i don't
think it is inconsistent), it should be consistent to itself in the
first place. (e.g.: making an empty object [Symbol] output 0 if you bang
it (after instantiation without arguments), might be consistent to [f]
and [t f], but somehow i have the feeling it should do symbols...;-))

> default-closed would make it exactly like [spigot], except with the
> added feature of closing itself after receiving one piece of data.

i follow frank here: if this object was "exactly like [spigot]" then you
should use [spigot].
if there is a need for your suggested hybrid between [spigot] and
[once], then this object should be, but with a different name.

> The more objects behave consistently with each other, the better Pd will
> be.

but the more objects will behave as expected, the even better Pd will be.
consistency is really a lot about "how do i expect an object to behave"

imho, the biggest inconsistency for [once] is, that you can reset it at all.

mfg.asdr
IOhannes