[PD-dev] [once] default closed...

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Sep 28 01:48:31 CEST 2006

On Sep 16, 2006, at 6:38 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>> Arg... another example of the limitations of email, its so hard to
>> communicate anything where nuance is essential.  This discussion
>> would take 10 minutes in person and no one would be annoyed.
>
> Ah, yes, that's so very true... ;)
>
>> - I do not care about strict adherence to backwards compatibility
>> - I do care about finding broad standards that make sense in the
>> overall
>> - I did not know that [once] already exists elsewhere outside of
>> purepd
>
> A name - of an object or a funicton - always carries some meaning
> of its
> own, which should be related to its behaviour.  That is my main point
> against having [once] closed as default: A closed [once] to me more
> seems like a "[never]".  Viewing it from this point was what made me
> come up with [countdown].  Maybe [countdown] isn't the best name,
> either.  Alternatives could be [manyshot], [someshot], [passmany],
> [passcount] etc. What do you think?

I can say a [never] object makes no sense, while a [once] object that
is default closed would be like "When I tell you to, then let
something past just once".  In Pd:

|   [bang(
|   |
[once 0]

The question of consistency is a tough one here.   Linguistic
consistency is what you are outlining.  From what I know most
programming languages are more likely to adhere consistency of
function arguments.  But its tough to say what would work better in Pd.

Words can be very vague, especially when you consider that many
programmers will be programming in a language that is not their
native tongue.  So it seems quite difficult to be strictly adherent
to the words.  Of course, it should be close as possible.  But words
are how humans communicate with each other, so the meaning of the
language should be given attention.

So the other kind of consistency in question here is consistency of
usage.  All similar functions should have the same arguments, for
example.  Which type of consistency trumps the other?  That's the
question at hand.

I personally feel that its not more linguistically consistent to have
[once] default open when it has no argument.  But this is
inconsistent in usage with similar objects ([spigot]...).