opt-in usage statistics 'phone home' WAS: [PD-dev] BUG: namespace prefixes broken in 0.40

Tim Blechmann tim at klingt.org
Fri Nov 3 09:54:24 CET 2006

> >> Incidentally, I also think this highlights the need for a poll of the
> >> Pd list at some point so we can get some idea of what users are using
> >> what externals, abstraction sets, libraries, etc. I would love to see
> >> the numbers, and it would probably be useful for Miller to see
> >> what is
> >> popular about Pd in a quantifiable scientific way.
> >
> > what about an opt-in usage statistics 'phone home'. initng does
> > this for example.. firefox just does it without even asking..
>
> Funny, I was just thinking about something like that.  It would be
> cool to know how many people are using Pd.  If you code it, I'll
> include it in Pd-extended.  Then maybe it could make it into devel or
> MAIN.

this doesn't add any useful functionality for the user and is using the
means of adware/spyware/activation ...
it will definitely not make it into devel as long i still have a write
access to the cvs ...

tim

--
tim at klingt.org    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk

Relying on the government to protect your privacy is like asking a
peeping tom to install your window blinds.
  John Perry Barlow