[PD-dev] moving iemgui from core to extra

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Dec 16 23:47:30 CET 2006

On Dec 16, 2006, at 2:52 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Dec 2006, Plans Casal David wrote:
>>> What's the advantage of doing that?
>>
>> Separation of Concerns:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_of_concerns
>> Separation of language, content, and presentation has to be a good
>> move, no?
>
> but the IEMGUIs, like the rest of the Pd GUIs, are part of the
> language. You can't remove them without breaking the code. If they
> were just presentation, you could slice them away and the patch
> would run the same. If you want to separate concerns, what you want
> to slice away is the t_widgetbehavior section of each of Pd's GUI
> classes (including that of objectboxes, messageboxes, floatboxes,
> symbolboxes, patchers, arrays, ...).
>
> The only project that slices away t_widgetbehavior, and thus
> separate Pd's presentation from Pd's language/content, is called
> DesireData. The feature doesn't have much to do with namespacing
> and classloaders: if you want another reimplementation of Pd's GUI
> that does separation of concerns, you will spend 1% of the effort
> on getting the thing to load in place of the original classes, and
> 99% on making sure that it works like the original classes.

The IEMGUIs were not originally part of the core, they were added
later.  They originally existed as a separate lib.  I have a working
version of Pd with the iemguis as externals, so I don't see the
"breaking the code" part, especially considering that I didn't change
the code, except for adding properly named setup functions and
removed the files from the makefile

Mistrust authority - promote decentralization.  - the hacker ethic