[PD-dev] Fwd: Request for dev access

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Feb 15 11:29:12 CET 2007

Hallo,
IOhannes m zmoelnig hat gesagt: // IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> hardware, backups and the like (even if "we" only means "me")
> the bad thing is that sourceforge is really overloaded.
> the good thing about the 2nd is, that the repository is under our full
> control. we can also use the puredata.info accounts to access the
> repository (this is already set up)

This is set up? Way cool! You know, I'm actually getting a bit worried
about the increasing number of developers on the Sourceforge project.
I mean, not that I wouldn't want e.g. Luke to be a part of it, he's a
long-standing member of the community, posts the hell on the list and
would be a good addition.

However we already have a huge amount of members, who all have access
to the whole tree except Miller's branch, and I'd guess, that most of
the developers only need to have access to their own directory so that
their stuff can be checked out easily, can be included in pd-extended
etc.

Maybe it would be better to organize the (future SVN) repository a bit
differently: A "default member" would just get write access to one
(SVN) directory. Then e.g. Luke could put his abstractions and the
mmonoplayer and whatever comes up there, pd-extended could still
collect it. I guess this would be sufficient for a large number of
developers. (Many people recently added as members, like Eric Lyon
etc., "just" put their externals and abstractions there and all is
fine.)

Addition of such "default members" could be handled very informally as
they cannot break anything and thus they wouldn't have to be checked
as "thoroughly" as they currently are ... not. ;)

Of course we would loose the possibility that everyone can quickly fix
a bug everywhere, but then, I don't see this as such a big problem.
There still would be "trusted core developers" with access to almost
everything - or maybe we could let each user decide with an ACL file
in her/his user directory, who should have access to it.

Anyway this ACL won't work at Sourceforge's SVN and I don't think, we
really should fiddle around with SF's CVS too much anymore, so it
would be something that ideally would be handled by a SVN at IEM.

Ciao