[PD-dev] how to check if buffer is valid...

Thomas Grill gr at grrrr.org
Thu Mar 29 09:14:39 CEST 2007

Hi Ji-Sun,
as fas as i know "valid" in Max/MSP means that the buffer content is
not changing at the moment. This has no parallel in PD.
Therefore, the flext method buffer->Valid() will always return true.
As discussed with Ico, buffer->Ok() is the method to check whether a
buffer is present, although this is currently only meaningful when
instantiating a buffer.
You'll have to re-update all your buffers used with buffer->Set() in
CbDsp to keep track of deleted or resized buffer objects - but i'll
try to make this transparent for the user in the future.

greetings,
Thomas

Am 27.03.2007 um 18:48 schrieb Ji-Sun:

> Hello,
>
> I am a rookie in PD, and currently developing some externals with
> flext.
>
> In order to check if a buffer is valid in flext, I am using “Valid”
> function.
>
> The “Valid” function uses a Max-dependent structure to check the
> buffer’s validation for MAX, but there is nothing for PD.
>

> MAX/MSP SDK provides a buffer structure, named “t_buffer”, and its
> member variable, “b_valid”, has a role to indicate if the buffer is
> valid.
>
> However, I can’t find anything in PD, regarding that.
>

> I am wondering if PD library has a function or variable which is
> similar in MAX/MSP SDK to check whether or not a buffer is valid.
>
> If so, I would appreciate if anyone of you let me know it.
>

> Best regards,
>
> Ji-Sun

Thomas Grill
http://grrrr.org