[PD-dev] any way to use GLUT in external

Stephen Sinclair radarsat1 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 06:02:53 CEST 2007

Hi,

On 7/30/07, Nose Hair <nosehair911 at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> I am trying to write an external that uses glut.  But I have hit a stumbling
> block. I am not able to use glutMainLoop without entering into some king of
> cpu sucking vortex that halts all Pd functions.  I know this is a problem
> with the way Pd/tkl handles events.  Has anyone figure out a simple way
> around this?  I tried to look at the Gem source code but there is too much
> going on in there for me to get a simple solution.  Is there a straight
> forward solution out there?

If you are able to use the "freeglut" implementation, it supports a
function called glutMainLoopEvent which you can use instead.  Failing
that, I think the only solution is to run it in a thread, but that
brings up all sorts of other issues.

http://freeglut.sourceforge.net/docs/api.php#EventProcessing

(note: i haven't checked the GEM code too closely so I don't know if
this is what it uses..)

Steve