[PD-dev] Build integration

Bryan Jurish moocow at ling.uni-potsdam.de
Fri Aug 3 11:04:05 CEST 2007

moin moin,

On 2007-08-03 08:23:14, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org> appears to
have written:
> The global variables $(pd_src) are defined in packages/
> Makefile.buildlayout:
>
> pd_src = $(cvs_root_dir)/pd
>
> so m_pd.h is in $(pd_src)/src

ack.  i saw that my additions had broken the pd-extended daily build
yesterday, so i removed 'moocow' from LIB_TARGETS again.  I'll test
extensively here before adding it again.  many apologies!

>> unified
>> conventions for handling machine-specific optimization flags ("-
>> march="
>> and friends).
[snip]
>> ... I'd like to motion for the establishment of some
>> convention
>> here.
>
> We should use a standard method for this kind of thing, like
> autoconf.  This would another advantage of a unified build system.
> This mostly works with Pd-extended now, but it could be handled much
> better.

in fact, one of my major beefs with autoconf is that the AC_PROG_CC
macro insists on (re-)setting CFLAGS (on gcc systems, it gets re-set to
"-g -O2").  I work around it by caching and re-instantiating the value
before and after AC_PROC_CC...  so even with autoconf, we would need
either (a) hacks or (b) explicit variable name semantics conventions, if
we want (as I would like) to be able to lug machine-local flags around
in the environment.

marmosets,
	Bryan

--
Bryan Jurish                           "There is *always* one more bug."
jurish at ling.uni-potsdam.de      -Lubarsky's Law of Cybernetic Entomology