[PD-dev] repository layout: tags

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Sep 12 10:22:07 CEST 2007

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

>> #TAGS:misc
>> import (htdocs pd-msg aenv~ bsaylor susloop~ svf~ vadsr~ xgui zhzxh~)
>
> These tags are useful for handling imported code that is maintained
> elsewhere.

thats what the documentation says.
have you ever made any use of the "useful" thing?

> Does SVN handle this differently?

yes and now.
yes: you don't _have_ to create a tag and a branch whenever you import code.
no: you can import code that is maintained elsewhere into a branch, a
tag, the trunk (or just any other directory)
yes: svn is able to handle references to external (svn!)repositories
(which imo is better than blindly importing anything useful)

so the answer is: you can do it like you did in cvs, but you can handle
it more appropriate at your own judgement.

> There are more like this.  Purging tags could be a tricky proposition.
> I think the purge list should be opt-in rather than opt-out to prevent
> losing important data.

well yes, i would agree.
but who remembers that there was a "dacblocksize" branch of pd?
who works on this? will there ever be work done on this again?
(fyi: "dacblocksize" is a branch i have made; the purpose of the branch
has been reached (although the code never made it into pd); i have not
worked on it for some years; i have no plans to work on it ever again
(and if i did, i would have to start from the beginning anyhow); i have
plainly forgotten that this branch ever existed; i would love to see it
deleted)

i hope that (more) people read more carefully in an opt-out process.
(even though it could be really handled as an opt-in)

finally, did i say "purging"? i should have said "deleting" (within the
version control system, rather than purging outside it); no data will be
lost: you can always go back to an older revision to retrieve the data)

fmga.sdr
IOhannes