[PD-dev] repository layout: tags

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Sep 13 23:00:32 CEST 2007

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>> On Tue, 11 Sep 2007, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>> If you want so much to remove existing tags and branches, what is that a
>> sign of? Is SVN appropriate for handling projects that have many tags
>> and branches?
> why should svn be not appropriate for handling projects with many
> tags/branches?

I don't know, I deduced that from your willingness to clean things. If SVN
itself is perfectly ok with that, is it a problem of user interface? Would
you have too often obsolete or irrelevant branch names in your face, in a
way that makes you want to hide/remove them as much as possible?

> my reasoning is, that there are a lot of branches/tags that are useless
> (in practice), why not getting rid of them when it is possible.

Because a repository records the complete history of the project, not just
that part that you want to keep.

> i want to cleanup the repository before getting it online, within the
> possibilities of the repository. this means, that all branches/tags will
> still be available in older revisions of the repository. no information
> will be lost. but the repository will be cleaned up, awaiting new mess.

"Older revisions of the repository"...? So the repository itself needs to
be versioned? Will you put the repositories in another, bigger repository?
how often you will commit the changes of one to another?

I don't want to ever have to go look in an older repository that is not
necessarily online or easily accessible anymore, to figure out information
that I have to manually correlate with something that is in the new
repository.

>> What about future branches and tags, will I have to
>> justify them before I create them, so that there aren't too many at once?
> says who? what makes you think this? (am i really such control freak?)

No, I'm asking because if you want to reduce the number of branches now,
it's to address a problem that you can also continue to address by making
sure that all new tags and branches are well-justified... but I don't
claim to understand the way you think.

> my point is: changing a repository system implies several changes; we
> can use these for a major clean-up (the next one might not be before we
> move to git...)

If you have any plans to move to git, you should cancel the plans to move
to svn. I really don't want to learn tools that I'll have to relearn again
not so long down the road, and I'm sure almost everybody else agrees with
that.