[PD-dev] repository layout: tags

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Sep 11 21:50:54 CEST 2007

Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Sep 2007, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
> If you want so much to remove existing tags and branches, what is that a
> sign of? Is SVN appropriate for handling projects that have many tags
> and branches?

why should svn be not appropriate for handling projects with many
tags/branches? how do my ideas relate to this appropriateness?

my reasoning is, that there are a lot of branches/tags that are useless
(in practice), why not getting rid of them when it is possible.

CVS is bad at handling branches/tags, as you cannot really delete them
once they are created, and you are forced to create both a tag and a
branch when you initially check your code in.

just to clarify this:
i want to cleanup the repository before getting it online, within the
possibilities of the repository.
this means, that all branches/tags will still be available in older
revisions of the repository. no information will be lost.
but the repository will be cleaned up, awaiting new mess.

> What about future branches and tags, will I have to
> justify them before I create them, so that there aren't too many at once?

says who? what makes you think this? (am i really such control freak?)
my point is: changing a repository system implies several changes; we
can use these for a major clean-up (the next one might not be before we
move to git...)

fma.r
IOhannes