[PD-dev] SVN?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Oct 23 19:04:56 CEST 2007

On Oct 23, 2007, at 12:51 PM, Tim Blechmann wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 11:56 -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> A distributed repository sounds interesting, but given Linus
>> Torvald's love of KDE, constant dissing of usability, and the fact
>> that git has 119 commands, this gives me pause.
>
> in order to evaluate git, one should maybe give it a try ...
>
>> Sounds like software designed for someone with an encyclopedic
>> memory. I really only use 8 commands in CVS (update, commit,
>> checkout, add, remove, tag, diff, import).
>
> do you remember all the cvs command options?

There are very many SCM systems out there, there are even many
distributed SCM systems out there.  My experience is that Linus is
super focused on issues that affect him and pretty much totally
ignores other issues that don't affect him.  Also, he approaches
things with arrogance.  So chances are, that effects the software he
writes.  I am sure git works well for Linux, but Pd is a very
different community.  My guess is that git is a good tool for people
who are immersed in C all day, everyday.  That describes none of the
Pd developers.

First, I think we need to narrow the options, then evaluate.  I want
to write code, not play with SCM systems.  That said, I do think that
a distributed system sounds very appealing, what I don't quite
understand is how the "main" repository works.  Tom Schouten made
darcs sound quite appealing, I am sure Claude likes it, since it's
written in Haskell ;)

.hc

> tim
>
> --
> tim at klingt.org    ICQ: 96771783
> http://tim.klingt.org
>
> Every word is like an unnecessary stain on silence and nothingness
>   Samuel Beckett

----

Terrorism is not an enemy.  It cannot be defeated.  It's a tactic.
expect we're going to win that war.  We're not going to win the war
on terrorism.        - retired U.S. Army general, William Odom