[PD-dev] [ANN] mostly for devs and tcl'ers: tclpd

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Oct 24 12:16:06 CEST 2007

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> - About the symbol/float stuff, I think Pd is intended to always reduce
> atoms to their elemental type based on their content. Therefore, {symbol
> 123} shouldn't really exist.

If I make symbol 123456789 it's because it's intended to stay 123456789. I
don't want tclpd to bastardise it by assuming that i'm ok with an
approximation of the number that it could be representing if my intent was
really to represent a quantity instead of just having a string of
characters.

Federico and I came to the conclusion that we came to because pretty much
anything else sucked in some way. We don't care that Pd seems perfectly ok
with blowing up the saving of symbols that look like numbers, and we don't
care that you don't want support for pointers.

I don't think that you and I and all of us have to stick with mere
original intents.

The main alternative I would have had to that, is to represent Pd symbols
in Tcl as the Pd parser would accept them. This means that a float would
be backslashed. But I had ruled that out because then there would be no
way to represent a pointer, unless some extra syntax is designed, plus
other reasons.

> Therefore, I think it would be better to just use normal Tcl lists, at
> least for now.

If you do it "at least for now", you're stuck with it forever or so.

> Plus, I think Pd's type handling is partially modeled after Tcl's.

I don't know how you can argue that, but there's a large enough chunk of
difference, that you could ignore the similarities. If Pd's type system
was roughly like Tcl's, then users would never have to think about
types in [pack], [unpack], [t], and such, for example.