[PD-dev] Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: Connecting up an SQL Database to PD

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Nov 12 23:11:39 CET 2007

Hallo,
Mike McGonagle hat gesagt: // Mike McGonagle wrote:

> I was just thinking, should the result sets be returned as TAGGED
> data? Meaning, should the name of the column precede the data in the
> returned PD list? While I can see that this would be useful, it would
> also require more processing to merge the keys with the data. I have
> so far been assuming that it is only the data that gets returned.

If it's a determinisic object, I'd say you can omit the tags. If a
user wants tags, she can use "select id from table" or so to get her
own id-tags in the results. it would be useful to have a second outlet
[textfile]-style to signal the end of results.

Generally I prefer working with databases using ORMs like
sqlobject.org instead of with SQL queries directly, but I don't know
how a good and simple way to design something like an SQL-ORM for Pd
could look like.

Another thing that may be important in the long run would be a common
interface for all DB adapters. So the Pd object for sqlite shouldn't
behave too differenty from the objects for postgresql, mysql, etc.
Again that's something I like about Pythons SQLObject (or other ORMs
like SQLAlchemy ...): They provide an abstract interface to lots of
backends. Probably something like this exists for C/C++ as well, you
may want to g**gle for it. (Oh, and maybe prototyping and testing such
a general purpose SQL class for Pd is easier in Lua or Python, but I
think I already mentioned that. ;)

Ciao