[PD-dev] compile pd with cygwin

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Dec 1 20:28:59 CET 2007

On Dec 1, 2007, at 10:47 AM, Martin Peach wrote:

> Patrice Colet wrote:
>> Hans-Christoph Steiner a écrit :
>>
>>> That stuff wasn't removed from Pd, but instead never made it into
>>> Miller's sources.  If you get this running smoothly, then I think
>>> it is likely to be included by Miller.  The big thing to do would
>>> be to make the ./configure && make work on Cygwin, then we'll
>>> have a unified build system on all platforms.
>>>
>>> One tip, when posting changes to code, you should post a "diff -
>>> uw", otherwise it's hard to tell what you have changed.  I don't
>>> think anyone here has s_midi.c memorized, but I could be wrong ;).
>>>
>>> Post the errors that you were getting before adding s_stuff.h and
>>> that will be easier to troubleshoot.
>>>

>>   Okay, let's start with these diff (I might have reversed the new
>> and the old file, sorry for that, also I'll make separated diff
>> files when make will run smoothly) and after that, there is my
>> last error message (I didn't go further because s_inter.c seems
>> linked to s_midi.c by the sys_close_midi() function, and I don't
>> get how to deal with it) :
>>
>> $ diff -uw d_osc.c d_osc.c.old
>> --- d_osc.c     2007-12-01 06:02:38.218750000 +0100
>> +++ d_osc.c.old 2007-01-19 07:37:56.000000000 +0100
>>
> Yes that's a backwards diff...
>
>> s_inter.o: dans la fonction << sys_bail >>:
>> /home/pat/pdextended/pd-extended/pd-extended/pd/src/s_inter.c:
>> 1276: r'ef'erence
>> ind'efinie vers << _sys_close_midi >>
>>
> sys_close_midi has several incarnations but you must choose one.
> The MSW version uses portmidi, so if you can build portmidi then
> use s_midi_pm.c by specifying it in the makefile.
>> s_file.o: dans la fonction << sys_loadpreferences >>:
>> /home/pat/pdextended/pd-extended/pd-extended/pd/src/s_file.c:292:
>> r'ef'erence in
>> d'efinie vers << _sys_initloadpreferences >>
>>
> sys_initloadpreferences in s_file.c also has a version for each
> platform. The MSW version looks in the registry for preferences but
> the unix version just uses the .pdsettings preferences file. I
> would go for the unix version because I dislike the opaqueness of
> the registry.

While the registry is annoying, it is the native Windows way of doing
things.  So I think it makes sense to use the registry as the default
prefs store on any Windows build.  That said, the .pdsettings file
could be an additional option on Windows.

One, thing "_WIN32" is the preferred macro name for testing for
Windows since it is defined automatically by all Windows compilers
that I checked (Cygwin, MinGW, MSVC, etc.).  "MSW" is a manually
defined one that should go away.

----

Using ReBirth is like trying to play an 808 with a long stick.    -
David Zicarelli