[PD-dev] pd-extended loadlib request

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Jan 24 06:31:21 CET 2008

On Jan 23, 2008, at 4:50 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>> I think they were only added to Max/Pd as typing shortcuts, which is
>> very weak argument in favor of them.  I am not saying we should
>> remove them, but I think they should be avoided as a matter of
>> convention.
>>
>> What other programming language has aliases?
>
> It's not that uncommon if you think of operator overloading in C++ and
> many other languages, or things like "from math import radians as rad"
> in Python.

Operator overloading is a very different thing.  It is allowing a
given function name to accept different combos of arguments for the
expressed purpose of implementing a given logical idea across a wide
range of data types.  For example, allowing "+" to work with floats,
ints, longs, strings, etc.

Pd's aliases are just typing shortcuts.

> Shortcuts can be a very strong argument, and especially in
> a graphical language, [t a a a a a a] often is better than
> [trigger anything anything anything anything anything anything]

I find that it is rarely better to use [t a a a a] and I rarely use
any aliases.  As you have written, good clean patches don't have
cables crossing over, for example. I find that [trigger anything
anything anything] encourages people to lay out their patches cleanly.

----

There is no way to peace, peace is the way.       -A.J. Muste