[PD-dev] DesireData

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Feb 7 22:32:33 CET 2008

On Feb 7, 2008, at 4:06 PM, Luke Iannini (pd) wrote:

> On Feb 7, 2008 12:47 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org> wrote:
>
>> When looking at a file, say pd/src/s_file.c, then there are be dd-
>> specific commits in the history, that's what I mean.  As for the pd-
>> cvs mailing list, I can live with seeing the dd commit messages
>> there. ;)
>>

> Hi Hans,
> If DD is actually branched, then one would only see those commits in
> the log of that branch (aka directory).
> /desiredata/pd becomes basically independent.  The only shared thing
> would be the log up to the point of the branch, plus whatever merging
> one decides to do from elsewhere (which sounds greatly improved in svn
> 1.5, by the way).

This is an example of what I mean, the default browse views for the
logs show all of the branches.  I'll be svn works similarly

http://pure-data.cvs.sourceforge.net/pure-data/pd/src/s_stuff.h

branches are a tool generally used for code that is intended to be
included in the code that it is branched from.  When a codebase
becomes a fork, then there is no longer that intension.  Matju has
submitted few if any patches to the tracker and has publically
declared dd is a fork.  So I am just suggesting that we use the tools
well, which will also hopefully help some social issues.

This is not a question of whether I think DD is worthwhile or not, I
have contributed work towards supporting DD and I think it is
worthwhile.  This is just a question of using the tools well.

----

Using ReBirth is like trying to play an 808 with a long stick.    -
David Zicarelli