[PD-dev] Fwd: svn troubles

Mike McGonagle mjmogo at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 22:45:29 CET 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mike McGonagle <mjmogo at gmail.com>
Date: Feb 19, 2008 3:44 PM
Subject: Re: [PD-dev] svn troubles
To: Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org>

I have noticed things like this happening when I write Macintosh files to a
Windows server. It creates some secondary file that is named the same as the
main file, except it prepends the file with a dot. On the Mac, you won't see
that file, as the Mac by default suppresses those files from being seen.
But, nonetheless, they are there. I don't think they really hurt anything if
they get deleted, at least, I have not had any trouble.
Mike

On Feb 17, 2008 4:38 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org> wrote:

> On Feb 17, 2008, at 2:54 PM, Martin Peach wrote:
>
> > zmoelnig at iem.at wrote:

> >> weird.
> >> what comes to my mind is:
> >> - are you sure you have enough space on your disk? (svn needs more
> >> space than cvs, as it caches the original copy of a file)
> > I have about 40gigs free.
> >
> >> - i have encountered problems on w32 with "forbidden" filenames, such
> >> as "AUX" and "COM", but this doesn't seem to be the case here...
> >> - svn is less tolerant than cvs when it comes to collisions: e.g. if
> >> you have a file "Hello.c" and a file "hello.c" in the same directory
> >> and your local filesystem is case-insensitive, the checkout will
> >> fail.
> >> nevertheless, i haven't find a case-problem in the
> >> gridflow/doc/flow_classess folder.
> >>
> > Just tried it again using TortoiseSVN and got the same error:
> > Added:
> > E:\pd_from_svn\externals\gridflow\doc\flow_classes\messageprepend-
> > icon.png
> > Added:
> > E:\pd_from_svn\externals\gridflow\doc\flow_classes\listappend-icon.png
> > Added:
> > E:\pd_from_svn\externals\gridflow\doc\flow_classes\listelement-help.pd
> > Error: Can't check path
> > 'E:\pd_from_svn\externals\gridflow\doc\flow_classes\inv*-icon.png':
> > The
> > filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
> >
> > Windows doesn't like files with * in the name. In fact if I try to
> > make
> > such a filename in Explorer I get a tooltip saying:
> > A file name cannot contain any of the following characters: \/:*?"<>|
> >
> > The file inv*-icon.png definitely exists in the repository:
> > http://pure-data.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pure-data/trunk/
> > externals/gridflow/doc/flow_classes/inv*-icon.png?view=log
> >
> > I guess I'll have to check out the directories one at a time.
> > I managed to check out everything using Ubuntu without incident.
>
> This has been happening for a while, but perhaps you just didn't
> notice.  You can see the files in question by looking at the top of
> the nightly build log for winxp:
>
> http://autobuild.puredata.info/auto-build/2007-09-10/logs/
> 2007-09-10_05.54.04_mingw32_nt-5.1_windowsxp-i386_pd-extended_run-
> automated-builder.txt
>
> There are currently four files that NTFS rejects:
>
> /externals/gridflow/doc/flow_classes/.inv*-icon.png
> /externals/zexy/abs/.<~-help.pd
> /externals/zexy/abs/.>~-help.pd
> /externals/zexy/abs/.||~-help.pd
>
> .hc

Peace may sound simple—one beautiful word— but it requires everything we
have, every quality, every strength, every dream, every high ideal.
—Yehudi Menuhin (1916–1999), musician