[PD-dev] Pd on the iPhone SDK

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Apr 8 00:46:55 CEST 2008

On Apr 7, 2008, at 1:59 AM, Chris McCormick wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 06:07:16PM -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner
> wrote:
>> Anyone tried to build Pd with the iPhone SDK?  It seems like it
>> should be pretty straightforward, since it has CoreAudio.  I'll bet
>> even Tcl/Tk will run on it.
>
> Doesn't Apple have to sign your binaries before they'll run on the
> iPhone
> hardware?
>
> According to a random blog post:
>
> "Since all iPhone applications must be properly signed for iTunes to
> process them and for the iPhone to load them..."
> <http://www.tuaw.com/2008/01/28/rumors-iphone-application-key-
> reportedly-leaked/>
>
> I find the idea of spending time porting FOSS software to such a
> restrictive platform completely uninteresting. When they allow the
> freedom for users to run the software they choose on the hardware that
> they have purchased and legitimately own 100%, then it might be worth
> paying attention again.

With the hacker tools, you can do pretty much whatever you want.  For
some reason I feel compelled to try to fuck them and show that people
can do more interesting things outside of the Apple channels than
within.  Plus it is nice hardware that is actually a lot easier to
hack than mobile phones.

----

"It is convenient to imagine a power beyond us because that means we
don't have to examine our own lives.", from "The Idols of
Environmentalism", by Curtis White