[PD-dev] how to compile pdstring from moocow?

Bryan Jurish moocow at ling.uni-potsdam.de
Wed Aug 13 10:37:52 CEST 2008

moin Roman,

I suspect that your CFLAGS aren't getting defined properly; in
particular, I suspect you are missing an "-I$PD_SRC", where "$PD_SRC" is
the directory containing your "m_pd.h".  If this suspicion is correct,
you should have seen something like the following from ./configure:

 checking for m_pd.h... no
 configure: WARNING:--------------------------------------------------
 configure: WARNING: could not find PD header file 'm_pd.h'
 configure: WARNING: -- things might get ugly.
 configure: WARNING:--------------------------------------------------

and `./configure --help` should have produced something like:
 bash$ ./configure --help
 `configure' configures pdstring 0.06 to adapt to many kinds of systems
 Optional Packages:
  --with-pd-include=DIR   PD include directory (default=NONE)
 Some influential environment variables:
 CPPFLAGS  C/C++/Objective C preprocessor flags, e.g. -I<include dir> if
           you have headers in a nonstandard directory <include dir>
 Report bugs to <moocow at ling.uni-potsdam.de>.

So, there are various ways of setting this flag when calling
./configure, e.g.:
 bash$ ./configure --with-pd-include="$PD_SRC"

or:
 bash$ ./configure CPPFLAGS="-I$PD_SRC"

or:
 bash$ export CPPFLAGS="-I$PD_SRC"; ./configure

or (less pedantically correct but ought to work anyways, at least for
pdstring):
 bash$ ./configure CFLAGS="-I$PD_SRC"

... that said, your m_pd.h ought to be found auto-magically by
./configure, unless you have it in a non-standard location.  By default,
my ./configure scripts look for m_pd.h only in the c preprocessor's
default include path (e.g. /usr/include, /usr/local/include, ...).  I
used to try to "guess" where the pd was installed by looking for
/usr/local/pd, /usr/local/lib/pd, etc., but that got hairy for
pd-extended builds, so now you have to either install m_pd.h in a
default location (I use /usr/local/include, and I think pd-vanilla does
too), or tell ./configure where to look.

If problems persist, please send me (or post) the file "config.log"
produced by ./configure.

marmosets,
	Bryan

On 2008-08-12 19:41:11, Roman Haefeli <reduzierer at yahoo.de> appears to
have written:
> hi all
>
> i followed the README.cvs file included and when doing 'make' i get:
>
> Making all in config
> gcc     pdstring.c   -o pdstring
> pdstring.c:41: error: expected ',' or ';' before 'PACKAGE_VERSION'
> In file included from pdstring.c:62:
> any2string.c:76: error: expected ',' or ';' before 'PACKAGE_VERSION'
> In file included from pdstring.c:63:
> string2any.c:59: error: expected ',' or ';' before 'PACKAGE_VERSION'

> i am on ubuntu hardy i686, which uses comes with gcc version 4.2.3

I foresee no problems with your system: I just did a test build here at
work on a debian box with gcc 4.2.3.

--
Bryan Jurish                           "There is *always* one more bug."
jurish at ling.uni-potsdam.de      -Lubarsky's Law of Cybernetic Entomology