[PD-dev] removing binary mime-type from .pd files in SVN

zmoelnig at iem.at zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Aug 27 15:42:00 CEST 2008

Quoting Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org>:

> Hey all,
>
> A number of people set the CVS binary flag on .pd files to prevent
> merges.  Since AFAIK, this isn't necessary with SVN and this prevents

as i understand it, it is still necessary with svn.

> using svn diff, I was wondering if anyone would object if I removed

well, from the revision control system's point of view i think that a
"merge" is closely related to a "diff" (the latter being the inverse
of the former)

> the binary mime-type from all .pd files in SVN.
>
> Or is there some other reason to set .pd files to a mime-type of
> application/octal?

so the reason why i (inconsistently) tag pd-patches as "binary" is in
order to prevent merging.
if you have any other way to prevent merging of pd-patches please do so.
i would also be interested in any way that prevents merging and allows
diffs at the same time.

and finally: why do you need diffs of Pd patches?
(well, i sometimes like them to see if only very minor changes - e.g.
the patch window has a new position - occured)

fmadsr
IOhannes