[PD-dev] removing binary mime-type from .pd files in SVN

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Aug 27 22:51:24 CEST 2008

On Aug 27, 2008, at 9:42 AM, zmoelnig at iem.at wrote:

> Quoting Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org>:
>

>> Hey all,
>>
>> A number of people set the CVS binary flag on .pd files to prevent
>> merges.  Since AFAIK, this isn't necessary with SVN and this prevents
>
> as i understand it, it is still necessary with svn.
>
>> using svn diff, I was wondering if anyone would object if I removed
>
> well, from the revision control system's point of view i think that
> a "merge" is closely related to a "diff" (the latter being the
> inverse of the former)
>
>> the binary mime-type from all .pd files in SVN.
>>
>> Or is there some other reason to set .pd files to a mime-type of
>> application/octal?
>
> so the reason why i (inconsistently) tag pd-patches as "binary" is
> in order to prevent merging.
> if you have any other way to prevent merging of pd-patches please
> do so.
> i would also be interested in any way that prevents merging and
> allows diffs at the same time.

I thought that this was part of the reason why we upgraded to SVN,
useful conflict resolution tools.  :)  Since on a merge, SVN
automatically provides you with four files to assist the merge, I
think this feature is quite useful with Pd as well.  The CVS-style
merged file is not so useful (i.e. the one with <<<<<< and >>>>>> in
it), but the three copies of the file that has a conflict are very
useful.  You can open up the two revisions.

See the "Resolve Conflicts" section of the SVN book:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.0/ch03s05.html

> and finally: why do you need diffs of Pd patches?
> (well, i sometimes like them to see if only very minor changes -
> e.g. the patch window has a new position - occured)

I use diff to see differences between versions, what else? ;-P

.hc

> fmadsr
> IOhannes

----

All information should be free.  - the hacker ethic