[PD-dev] svn:externals "sucks", or tracking changes in Gem

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Sep 6 16:42:15 CEST 2008

Sorry, I am very slammed right now, so I didn't have time to look at
this build issue.  I moved everything to point to the Gem SVN now, so
it should work fine.

Instead of svn:externals, another option is to import gem releases
into the pure-data SVN.  I am working a lot now with openembedded,
and basically all the code used there is pegged to a certain release
version.  With big distros like Pd-extended, that is necessary in
order to get anything released.  I suppose it would also be possible
then to have a Gem-only nightly build.

Moving gem development to the pure-data SVN would also solve this
issue, so there are many ways to do it.  If someone wants to run a
build farm and maintain Pd-extended, I'll happily defer to them on
these questions.  But right now, for me, svn:externals solves no
problems and also creates new problems.

.hc