[PD-dev] Alternative to Portaudio under Windows

Miller Puckette mpuckett at imusic1.ucsd.edu
Sun Sep 14 17:52:41 CEST 2008

Well, I've seen latencies down to 6 msec in linux using ringbuffers.  They
theoretically only add 64 samples of latency.  So I don't think that in itself
is the problem.

I think the problem in Windows is the "audio server" that non-ASIO audio I/O
apparently always goes through.  Also, I think it's not feasible to use audio
callbacks in Windows since Pd can make system calls (e.g., allocate memory)
during the callback -- linux and Mac allow this but Windows doc says not
to do that.  (This shold be a leftover warning from older times but I've been
heeding it anyway.)

cheers
Miller